Sept 2011 to date
We are hiring – Get in touch if you’d like to find out more!
FundApps is bringing finance software kicking and screaming into the 21st century. The days of clunky installed software, manual testing and years between releases should be long gone – and yet in finance it’s still the reality. That’s why we’re bringing the benefits of web based software, agile development and simpler user interfaces to the finance industry.
Founder, SDD Conference
SDD (Software Design & Development) is an annual conference for software designers, developers and architects, which takes place at the Barbican Centre in London.
We bring together some of the world’s foremost software development experts, and put together an intensive five-day programme of in-depth technical sessions and workshops on a wide range of key topics.
Jan 2010 to Sept 2011
Founded technology news site TechEye with previous co-founder of The Register. Grew the site to more than 400K unique visitors/month from nothing within 9 months. Built large scale contextual advertising platforms and content solutions.
Founder, Developer Fusion
2003 to date (part time)
Founded the largest UK-based developer site with over 600,000 unique users per month, with the role involving
- Development of website, driving advertising sales, building brand awareness.
- Technical writing, editing and reviewing of content, and presentations at several developer events.
- Establishing strategic partnerships across the developer community in the UK, including Microsoft and Adobe.
Head of Development, Anorak Digital
Dec 2006 to July 2008 (now part of glue Isobar)
- Established a successful technical team working with blue-chip clients to deliver consumer and b2b websites to tight deadlines and a consistently high technical standard.
- Experienced across the full project lifecycle – from pitching for business and establishing requirements, IA and timelines through to the development process and final QA.
- Extensive hands-on development and mentoring to deliver solutions including fully standards and accessibility compliant pan-European sites, consumer brand sites, “web 2.0” community sites with sophisticated use of AJAX, and solutions to deliver tight integration with existing business systems.
- Created web service platform and central library to reduce lead-time and costs for projects, including full-text site searches, user registration, 3rd party integrations and automated deployment.
- Researched and drove the use of new technologies and standards both internally and with our clients
1999 to 2003 (during A-Levels and University)
Delivered solutions for a range of clients,
- Modular e-commerce system (multi-million pound transaction volume), online file management systems, ad-serving tracking and management
- WebZinc.NET a tool written in C# that allows developers to extract content from web sites and automate form filling tasks, featured in several leading .NET magazines
- Created “Developers Pad”, a fully customizable development editor written in VB 6, reviewed in leading magazine, PC Plus.
St Anne’s College, Oxford (2003 – 2005)
BA Hons First Class, Computer Science
Awards & Achivements
- Microsoft ASP Insider (info)
- Microsoft Most Valued Professional (2005, 2006, 2008)
- FreshMinds ‘Ones to Watch’ (info)
- Oxford College Prizes (‘03, ‘04, ‘05)
- BigWhiteWall won a Guardian Media innovation award.
“I’ve known James for a number of years and he is a well respected and extremely well-liked member of the developer community. His fantastic achievements at DeveloperFusion have served to support hundreds of thousands of developers worldwide. He’s managed this despite a number of other important commitments and his selfless attitude to the Developer Community has been awe inspiring.”
August 14, 2005 – Graham Parker, Chairman, VBUG
Head of Development at Anorak Digital (glue London)
“James is one of the most articulate, technically savvy and passionate people I have worked with. His approach to development and architecture is second to none, consistently demonstrating a deep understanding of concepts, and he has an admirable pragmatic and collaborative approach when it comes to leading development teams and/or mentoring other developers. His has a never ending entrepreneurial spirit and drive and a great technically focused strategic approach to his work. I highly recommend James.”
March 28, 2010 – David de la Pena, Head of Development, Glue London
“I have worked with James for the last 18 months and can’t recommend him highly enough. Not only has he provided excellent hands on technical expertise but has added a great deal to the internal running of our agency and helped build solid and long lasting client relationships.”
July 28, 2008 – Glenn Jones, Managing Director, Anorak digital
“James was a breath of fresh air to work with, his angle on current web development and technology was unsurpassed, quite surprising as he’s not been agency side for long, but has heaps of enthusiasm for technology and a good eye for design and resolving (and countering) all my banal design requests, he just makes stuff work and well.”
July 24, 2008 – Nick Clement, Senior Designer, Anorak Digital